As an Individual
- Join CAPE – Cape is always looking for new people to join in the fight against prisons! You may be a social media expert or a graphic designer, a writer or film maker, a researcher or legal expert, or importantly someone willing to take direct action against prisons – we need a wide range of tactics to stop prison expansion and anything you can offer will be a huge help to this grassroots campaign network. Get in touch if you would like to get involved firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Educate yourself about the prison industrial complex, the harm it causes and abolitionist strategies. Find some recommended resources here.
Organising with Others
Start a local group in your area to campaign against prison expansion. You can see existing local groups here. CAPE can support you to get started.
Things you can do as a group:
- Organise public meetings and events in your area
- Demonstrate at the offices of companies profiting from prison expansion
- Organise fundraising events & activities
- Organise transport and encourage people to get to national demos and actions against prison expansion, such as the regular demonstrations at Detention Centres
- Undertake actions as a group, think creatively and be inspired by campaigns around the world. For example in Brussels, they occupied a site where the state want to build a ‘Maxi-prison’ and planted potatoes. They have done extensive actions against the project since and effectively halted it.